Thursday, March 29, 2012

Almost 4 Months Post-Relaxer :)

Alrighty, I've just realized how much I want to document this journey, so I will definitely post more and at a regular schedule. I washed My hair today and measured a curl on the top of my head. I'm so excited in feeling the thickness and the curlyness of my roots. I have almost 2 inches of new growth, maybe 1.6 or 1.7 inches. I'm glad that my hair is filling in at a good pace. The back of my head, however, is filling in slowly. well, there are curls, but the curls seems finer and looser than the top of my head. One thing I have noticed about my hair is that it dries ridiculously fast when I'm air drying it, but it takes hours with rollers and a hooded dryer :P Air drying is the way to go! (I always hated sitting under the dryer anyway) Today, I'm doing something a little different. My mom had not contacted the lady to do my kinky twists, so I have decided to do them myself with just my hair. One day, after co-washing and applying products, I found a combination of water,oil, and Palmer's headress would hold my twists without anything being at my ends. Therefore, I will wait until my hair dries and do my twists tomorrow. I'm a little depressed today about something, so fooling with my hair is not high on my list. Surprisingly, my mom told me I should just cut all my hair off!! She, besides my dad, is the LAST person I would ever think would tell me to cut my hair. It was crazy. She doesn't really understand that this journey I want to go on is for me. I'm not trying to copy anyone, I'm trying to get the hair that I dream about. I want to have confidence in the natural me, and not rely on harmful chemicals to get the hair I want. I love my curls, and I so look forward to when I have a head full of them without any relaxed ends. I've finally found a wash regimen that works for me: put hair in 4 sections and put olive oil leave-in conditioner with cap on and sit for an hour or more. Then I rinse, wash, and condition my hair in two parts while running my hands through my hair in a downward motion to take out some tangles. After I deep conditioned, I alternate 3 weeks with protein, 3 with moisturizing, I use a rat 0tail comb to work through each section, apply leave-in conditioner and oil, and then use a wide tooth comb to comb out the tangles. The pre-poo helped my detangling tremendously, and so did the finger detangle when washing my hair. I DID MY FIRST CUT TODAY!!! WHOO!! lol. I cut about an inch all around and am happy that I'm cuttign away some of the relaxed ends. I'm that much closer to my goal now :) I also took pictures of my new growth so far when its wet, and the curls are so beautiful I want to cry and smile. I know I can make it through this journey. I have the determination and the patience. One thing I do want to work on is getting my fingers out of my head (I'm constantly fingering the curls and hunting for new curls) and doing hairstyles that keep my away from styling for at least 5 days. The journey continues!

2 comments:

  1. - Hey. We started transitioning about the same time :)
    Let's do it together !
    Good luck btw

    ReplyDelete