Saturday, March 31, 2012

Braids

I braided my entire head using only my hair so that i wouldn't have to style my hair for at least a week. The braids came out ok for my first try. I would really like to learn, though, how to braid to my scalp. Today was pretty uneventful, i really got to get my hands in m y hair when braiding an saw how many different textures there were in my head. my new growth on my sides in the back is long and have many tight curls while the top of my head has many strands curled together in a thick coil. the back of my head in the middle has this loose wave going on. My sides look like they are trying to fill in because I have a lot of baby hair dotting the thin spots. I'm so happy. Today my mom walked in with a Dark and Lovely Relaxer an sat it on the table. I picked it up and it was saying how it has Shea Butter and adds a lot of moisture while relaxing your hair. At that moment, I was like, wow, I'm really giving up these relaxers. It was like it finally hit me what i was doing. When I was braiding my hair and feeling all the thick new growth and noticing how fast my hair was coming in at places, I was just a little overwhelmed. The feeling that hit me was strange. I guess I truly accepted my hair and what I was doing to it. My mom walked back in the room later and said, "You know that isn't for you right?" And I ust had to say no and shake my head. I'm really over these relaxers. I know my mom doesn't approve of this journey because she doesn't want me to look all crazy when I have no clue what to do with my hair, but this isn't about her. It's about me and how I feel about myself. She hinted that my natural hair was a wooly bush, i guess trying to get me turned off at the porspect of having a coarse head of hair, but I want to see for myself what my hair is capable of. In my baby pictures my hair is so pretty and curly. I just want to have that back. I want to get back to my roots and start my junior year in August that much more sure about who I am. I have no clue at this point how long I'm going to transition. I'm just going to wait until I believe the time is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment