Friday, April 6, 2012

MY POOR ROOTS!!!

Easter is coming up, yes, I understand this, but why do my roots have to die for Easter?!? My mom made me get my roots hot combed and pressed so my hair could be done for the holiday. I wanted to get kinky twists, but apparently my roots are the devil. :( for the first time in months I wrapped my hair. I'm able to run my fingers easily through my hair and touch my scalp. I hate this. So much heat was put on my poor natural hair. And I was even burned at the root a few times. Not good. I'm worried that my hair won't kink back up, that all my progress and work has been ruined. I'm angry with my mom because she's all happy about how my hair looks permed and the roots are laid down, but all I can think of is the horror I will feel if my hair doesn't curl up after I wash it. The only good thing that came out of this whole ordeal is that my ends got a good trim and the hairdresser confirmed I had 1 and a half to two inches of new growth. My hair is going down my back, and my mom said she hasn't seen my hair this long since I was younger. I just wished I had a choice in all this. And what makes matters worse, it seems that almost everyone I deem important in my life is against me going natural!. The only one so far that hasn't fflipped a shit when I told them is my grandmother. She's supportive of me. I'm really getting tested now. What I want to say and what's respectful are battling in my head. I just want to wash my hair and get back to figuring my curls. There is one curl in the back of my head that is really stubborn and refused to be straightened. Its my only solace now, and I constantly reach to finger it, wishing for the days of a head full of curls. Worst day ever.

2 comments:

  1. Hey mama, I completely understand your frustration. You are definitely doing the right thing by being respectful to your family. It sucks not having your own choice of hair and everybody wanting to have a say so in what you're doing with YOUR hair, but if it makes you feel better, I'm 22 years old almost 23 and my mom still puts her opinion in about my hair. However, maybe if you tried updo's or bantu knot outs or some of those styles you would get more positive feedback, not saying that your natural hair isnt possible, but it beats pressing it, which causes extreme heat damage. Also when you have to straighten it again, try suggesting that they use a flat iron on medium, with heat protectant so you wont suffer too much from heat damage. I hope thing work out for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice, I'll be sure to take your opinions into count. I was just so into transitioning and saying goodbye to bone straight hair that when i was forced to have it, it felt kind of defeating. I'm glad my hair is curling back up now that it's so hot :)

      Delete